“Empowering tomorrows leaders God’s way . . .”
More than eleven years ago, a group of parents gathered around a kitchen table to discuss the vision of creating a safe, nurturing Christian environment where children of the local community could attend school. In the fall of 2001, that vision became a reality in the Pawleys community with the establishment of PICA. Originally serving students through 5th grade, the school soon offered Pre-School to 8th grade. After ten years of success, it happened again. Sitting around a dining room table a group of PICA parents felt God calling PICA to a new mission, a High School . . . join us as the next chapter in the history of Pawleys Island Christian Academy is written and the Waccamaw Neck is transformed.
William R Cox (Billy) was brought on board by the school board in April of 2012 to lead PICA in its new mission and season. He holds an all grade levels Principal certificate, Secondary Math teaching certificate, Secondary History teaching certificate, and Elementary Education teaching certificate from the Association of Christian Schools International accrediting agency. He holds a Bachelor of Science in Business Administration degree from The Citadel and Masters of Arts degree from American Public University. As a 1992 graduate of The Citadel, he has spent the last 23 years in the South Carolina low country. Cox spent the first 15 years of his professional career as an entrepreneur, starting and developing several different businesses and spending much of his free time working in local Christian ministries. In 2010, he accepted God’s call into the ministry of teaching full time in the Christ centered setting of PICA. He is married and has a middle school aged daughter and elementary aged son who attend PICA.
SCHOOL LEADERSHIP ADVISORY BOARD:
Chairman: Andy Giarrantano
Members: Dr. Larry Kelly, Chris Labuz, Gerry Voorhees, Sherry Hubach, Pastor Don Williams
We Believe that . . .
- The Bible is the inspired Word of God.
- There is one God who reveals Himself in 3 separate and distinct persons: the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.
- Jesus is God in the flesh, fully divine and fully human and that through the shedding of His blood at crucifixion Jesus made salvation and His righteousness available to all who will believe, thus bridging the gap between God and mankind.
- Jesus died, was buried and bodily rose from the dead (the resurrection).
- Salvation comes from repentance for sin and a heartfelt faith in the Lord Jesus Christ, resulting in regeneration of the person. Salvation is entirely by the grace of our Lord, not of works.
- Water baptism and the Lord’s Supper are the two ordinances of the Church.
- Each believer is a priest of the Lord and has direct access to the Father through the Lord Jesus Christ.
(Please see our student handbook for a more complete discussion of our foundational beliefs.)
Pawleys Island Christian Academy is a ministry of Pawleys Island Community Church and is subject to the PICC Board of Elders’ and Pastor Don Williams’ oversight. The school began in 2001 with 55 students in grades K-3 thru 5th grade. Fall of 2012 will see 110+ students enrolled in classes ranging from pre-school through 10th grade. PICA is accredited by the Association of Christian Schools International (ACSI), the South Carolina Independent School Association (SCISA), the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS) and the South Carolina Association of Independent Schools (SCISA).
Non-discriminatory Policy Pawleys Island Christian Academy admits students of any race, color, and national and ethnic origin to all the rights, privileges, programs and activities generally accorded or made available to all students of PICA. It does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, and national and ethnic origin in administration of its educational policies, admissions policies, scholarship programs, and athletic and other school-administered programs. Furthermore, PICA does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, or ethnic origin in the hiring of its certified or non-certified personnel.